January 29, 2019
ISO a new Chair for iWIST
We are searching for a new Chair – is it you?
Do you know what iWIST is? What our mission is?
Do you understand why our group is unique and offers community members real value?
Have you attended events? Have you sponsored an event?
Are you keen to demonstrate leadership?
If you answered yes – you may be interested in this amazing leadership opportunity.
Many people know our past Chair, Robyn Quinn – she has accomplished a lot on behalf of the women in STEM community on the island and across the sector as well to encourage gender equality and diversity. The 2018 AGM renewed iWIST commitment to continue building a vibrant and exciting community of peers. We succeed by supporting each other.
Board Members gathered immediately after the AGM to determine roles and next steps:
Claire Skillen – Vice Chair
Christine Fast – Secretary
Lisa Grandbois – Treasurer
Robyn Quinn – Past Chair (ex officio member of iWIST board)
Tara Dunning – Director
Vesna Janic – Director
Shelley Langille – Director
Corina Ludwig – Director
Since most of the incoming Board is new – the role of the Chair went empty. It’s understandable – many variables affected the current situation – work demands, travel, board experience and perceived conflict of interest.
You can practice leadership skills in a safe environment – Please submit your name and why you think you are the right person for the “job” to email@example.com by February 7 2019.
1) Board Governance: Works to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Island Women in Science and Technology (IWIST) in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s objectives and values as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board providing information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Ensures financial stability and accountability
- Works with Treasurer for the fiscal integrity of iWIST
- Responsible for building capacity to raise funds and develop other resources necessary to support iWIST.
3) Organization Strategy: Guides planning and strives to ensure iWIST core values and objectives are achieved through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of iWIST’s programs that reflect the core values and objectives.
- Manages strategic planning to ensure iWIST can successfully deliver value to members and the community
- Responsible for iWIST public profile and communications by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
Real Time Job Responsibilities:
- Chair board meetings and retreat (at least six per year) includes agenda item review
- Working closely with Executive Board members (Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Serving as iWIST’s primary spokesperson to internal and external stakeholders.
- Act as host at IWIST events when possible
- Manage correspondence and external requests for IWIST to participate or promote other activities (and to diplomatically say no when proposal is outside IWIST scope)
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations on the island and use those relationships to strategically position iWIST.
- Review and approve contracts for services (with Treasurer and committee volunteers).
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Recruit committee and board members
- Identify opportunities to raise funding through sponsorships or grants – start processes